The heating system is an integral part of every household. They make our homes more livable and our lives infinitely more comfortable. Therefore, they should always be impeccable. Yet, even the best heating system cannot last forever. Sooner or later, you’ll have to enlist the help of heating system experts to repair it. And, inevitably – to replace it entirely. But, how to know if it’s the best time to replace your heating system? Or, for that matter, if you should replace it at all? These are the questions we’ll tackle today to help you make the best decision.
Is it worth it to replace your heating system?
Replacing the old system in favor of a new one is an excellent choice. However, the price of this undertaking often deters people from making the said choice. Replacing the heating system isn’t cheap. Depending on the type and model, the cost can vary dramatically. It can start as low as $1,200 for simpler systems but can quickly get up to $8,000. As you can see, this is quite an investment. However, there’s another side to it. A silver lining, if you will.
Modern heating systems are designed to be energy-efficient. Once installed, they can shave off up to 20% of your monthly energy bill. Now, that’s quite an improvement! Furthermore, they can last upwards of 15 years. With regular maintenance, you can push this number even more – up to 20 years. With this in mind, it’s easy to see that, in the long run, this cost evens out. Therefore, it’s clear that replacing is the best choice.
Repairing can sometimes be an option
Over time, the heating system’s integrity will decline. Its efficiency will start to waiver, and problems will start popping out. In most cases, this happens when:
- The heat pump is more than 10 years old or;
- The furnace or boiler is older than 15 years.
Of course, even older systems can still work properly and provide comfort and efficiency. However, as time passes, you’ll have more and more need to repair the heating system in your home. So, the best thing you can do is to schedule an inspection by an expert. They will help you determine if your system is worth repairing. And, if it is, how long until it stops being worthwhile.
Certain signs that it’s time to replace your heating system
A good thing about a malfunctioning heating system, if we can call it “good”, is that the signs are easily noticeable. These include:
- Uneven heating in different areas of your home;
- Increased energy bills;
- Humidity issues such as condensation on windows, dry air, or mold buildup;
- Lots of dust in heated areas;
- Increased noise.
These are indicators that your heating system operates inefficiently. If you start noticing any of them, it’s a sure sign that your heating system needs replacing.
The off-season is the best time to replace your heating system
The time of the year can play a significant role when deciding if it’s the best time to replace your heating system. Heating technicians and units remain available throughout the year. However, the price of services and supplies can vary significantly. During peak season, they can skyrocket, and you can end up paying a lot more than needed. Therefore, it’s best to leave this kind of work for the off-season.
For heating systems in general, it’s best to do it during spring or even early summer. It is sort of a “dead period” for both technicians and suppliers. So, naturally, the price of services and supplies diminishes. For you, this is an ideal situation. You’ll save a significant amount of money (sometimes even more than 20%!), and you’ll have an efficient heating system for those cold winter days. Therefore, if the state of your heating system isn’t critical, it might be a good idea to postpone replacing it.
Benefits of a new heating system
Investing in your home is always wise. A kitchen rework makes gourmet escapades much more rewarding. A new piece of furniture improves aesthetics and comfort. Even something as simple as a fresh coat of paint can refresh your home and make it more vibrant. So, regardless of the upgrade, revamping your living space is a good idea. And, when said upgrade makes such an impact as the heating system does, it becomes one of the best investments you can opt for. Especially when you consider many benefits it carries:
- Energy and cost efficiency – As we mentioned, a new heating system will decrease your energy bills. They are designed and set up to operate with optimum efficiency, thus minimizing energy dissipation. Meaning, they waste less energy, and by quite the margin.
- Improves quality of life – New heating systems distribute heat throughout your home more evenly. Furthermore, newer systems are less noisy than their older counterparts. Meaning you’ll have more options for where to install them. Finally, more recent systems are smaller in size. Therefore, you’ll have more storage space in the area you decide to install it in.
- Save money on repairs – As a rule, newer heating systems are more reliable. Therefore, you’ll avoid frequent repairs, which will save you money in the long run. And quite a bit! Still, it’s always smart to inspect it every once in a while. Although this inspection often won’t turn up any problems, it never hurts to be on the safe side.
- Increased value of your property – This might be obvious, but we cannot fail to mention it. A new heating system will increase the allure of your home for potential buyers. Thus, you’ll sell your home faster and for more money, especially if you chose to install an energy-efficient model.
Don’t hesitate to turn to experts for guidance
As you can see, upgrading the heating system in your home carries many benefits. Still, it is a big step and a decision you shouldn’t make lightly. So, if you have doubts, it’s best to turn to expert heating technicians for advice and guidance. That way, you’ll have every piece of info you need to make a good choice and improve the quality of life.